The year 2013 is coming to an end and as Tollywood is bracing itself to welcome 2014 it is time to look behind and see how things have been at the box office. So, here is a list of the top 5 super hits of 2013 and the factors that contributed to making the films a success.
1. Attarintiki Daredi GA Rating: 3.5/5 The Pawan Kalyan factor and Trivikram brand attributed to the success but many didn’t expect it would be a crazy blockbuster. The songs, the hype and the correct marketing strategy has helped the film rake in huge profits. That way, more than the content, it is the external factors which contributed largely to this film’s success.
2. SVSC GA Rating: 3.25/5 This film ran primarily due to two factors- the title song and the star power. Due to the title song, the family audience connected instantly and this is the only film which was flooded with family audience in huge numbers. The genre of the film tempted the family entertainment segment and it got a strong push due to Mahesh Babu factor. Frankly, the content or its execution was not great but other two parameters worked well.
3. Mirchi GA Rating: 3/5 This was the debut directorial venture of writer Koratala Siva and more than the storyline it is the packaging and execution which worked for the film. Of course, Prabhas added his bit of strength to the film’s collections. Here again, not many expected the film to roar at the box office and deemed it to be good entertainer but the film overshot all those boundaries.
4. Baadshah GA Rating: 3.25/5 When the film came in, comments began that this is again a repetition of typical Sreenu Vaitla comedy seen in many of his earlier films. Still, the film worked because the comedy did work. It has once again proved that Tollywood audience will always vote for entertainment and humor even if it is somewhat repetitive. The other benefit was Junior NTR’s presence and his hype. If only the budget was kept under control it would have resulted in a bumper hit.
5. Nayak GA Rating: 3.25/5 This film worked due to the festival season at the time of its release and also the mass comedy factor. The contribution from Jayaprakash Reddy, Posani Krishnamurali made all the difference and it came almost close to the release of ‘SVSC’. So, all those masses who sought masala entertainment preferred this. The subject and story was just average but the entertainment quotient added a lot of weight to the collections.